Skip to main content

WORLD

BUSINESS

ENTERTAINMENT

INTERNET RADIO

TECHNOLOGY

HEALTH

SCIENCE

SPORTS

Dove Cameron Honors Queer Community at AMAs in the Wake of Colorado Springs Shooting

Image Source: Getty / Kevin Winter

Dove Cameron was crowned the new artist of the year at the 2022 American Music Awards on Sunday, and she dedicated her speech to the LGBTQ+ community in the wake of the Nov. 19 shooting that took place in Colorado Springs, CO. "I want to start by saying that every award I ever win will always, first and foremost, be dedicated to the queer community at large," she said. "You guys have carved out such a space for me to be myself and to write music about it. I've never felt safer or more loved and more supported, and I hope I can give you some semblance of that same feeling in my music."

"I want to remind everybody how important queer visibility is and how important our community is."

She continued: "On the heels of the tragedy that happened at Club Q in Colorado Springs, I want to remind everybody how important queer visibility is and how important our community is. And I want to direct your attention to organizations like GLAAD and The Trevor Project for what you can do right now. I want to remind you that you are made absolutely right and are so loved and so held. And I want to thank you for supporting me. Thank you for holding this space. I'm holding it for you, too."

CNN reported that a 22-year-old gunman opened fire at an LGBTQ+ nightclub, killing five people and injuring 25 others on Saturday. Police are now investigating whether the attack was a hate crime. "Club Q is a safe haven for our LGBTQ citizens," Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez said. "Every citizen has a right to feel safe and secure in our city, to go about our beautiful city without fear of being harmed or treated poorly."

Listen to Cameron's full speech ahead.



Comments